Many people do not fulfill their potential, both in the private and in the professional sphere, because they have no goals in life. The absence of clearly defined goals appears inevitable that we make full use of our capacities and capabilities and, as a result, leads to the lack of success.
Three reasons why the goals are so important:
If we have calculable targets in our sights,
- We can muster the motivation that is needed to bring positive changes in our lives.
- We will not waste time and energy with wrong methods of the solution because we know what we want to achieve and to concentrate on the target.
- We have the ability to determine either we have attained our goal.
The state for our personal success is an active cycle:
When a hidden desire becomes a tangible goal, our motivation grows and compels us to act. Towards achieving this goal, control is a crucial factor to ensure that we are moving on the right path with the right strategy and in determining whether and when we will have achieved our goal. If we want to be successful we need to initiate this cycle consciously; otherwise we will remain in our position of arrest.
10 steps to successful goal setting:
- Write down your goals – Turn your dreams into concrete goals.
- Analyze your goals – Are your goals to unify the different spheres?
- Define the details – time, place, quality, numbers, etc.
- Define the required short-term and long-term steps – What strategies do you follow in order to achieve this goal?
- Think in the first person and the present tense – Phrase goal as if you had already achieved.
- Consider the emotional rewards – Imagine how you feel when you reach your goal. “How will it enrich my life?”
- Some goals are nobody’s business – unnecessarily yourself under pressure to tell everyone about your goal.
- Some goals don’t concern others – Only people who have a role in achieving the set goal should come in; otherwise you cannot work together.
- Visualize your goal over and over again – Motivate yourself by repeatedly depicting the state visually will you have achieved – several times a day!
- Check your goals now and then – this way you can ensure that you really focus on the tasks that are most important to you.